Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fertility Injections

I'm not sure if everyone saw these comments, but I thought Heather had some GREAT information that might be helpful to others.
Infertility Goddess Asked:
How were the injections? That is my next step and I'm terrified about them. Would you mind walking me through how they work and how they made you feel? Did your husband have to give them to you? My husband is terrified...as am I.
Heather Answered:
Sorry - small book ahead!! I just wish I had someone who could have explained it to me and I tend to write a lot:)! If you want to leave your email I can email you too!They really aren't that bad (well, not great but doable:)! I would make sure you have an appt with your dr to specifically walk through the whole process bc each dr does it a little different. I used Follistim (brand name) that had a shot "pen" that came with it - it was REALLY easy to calculate the dose (you can google the brand). I also made sure to order the drugs a few weeks before I started so I had it waiting and ready to go. I know some you have to mix in water and blend but I would ask for this if you can (don't be afraid to ask for what you want or at least have him explain why he chose something different!). They are tiny vials you put in the pen and then twist to the dosage you need and do the injection. I am not afraid of needles so I might be biased but the needle is seriously TINY. It is a little freaky to jab it in, but if you do it fast it is almost painless! Although there was bruising and some bruise more than others. I found it easier to give it to myself than my husband(he is squeamish) but I know others that had their husbands or moms do it. I started on day three and then had a shot every night, I had ultrasounds about every other day (he did them in the morning before work which was such a blessing) to monitor the growth of the eggs - which is actually really cool to see and to know something is really working! When they reach the right size they have you take a trigger shot (had to mix, bigger needle but at least it was only one shot and I treated myself to ice cream after:)) I would also ask your dr how many eggs they allow for your age, mine wouldn't go above 4 bc the risks were too high, which I appreciated. 36 hours later they did the IUI. My dr wouldn't do injectables without IUI bc if you are going to do all of that work give it the best shot possible even in there isn't anything wrong with the little swimmers! It isn't super planned bc they don't know how your body will respond -this was super frustrating since I am a complete planner but I just did a lot of deep breathing:)I did have some side effects - serious bloating, blah feeling, tired and more emotional and everyone is different. I made sure I didn't have a lot planned and going on that month. Eating protein(bars and egg whites) and fiber helped with the side effects. I would also make sure to check with insurance, mine covered the drugs and ultrasounds but not the actual procedure - it is just good to be prepared. One more thing to be aware of is that the chances of getting preg the first time compared to the 6th time are the same, even though it seems like it cant fail the first time doesn't mean it wont work later (found this out after my major meltdown when the first round didn't work). You can TOTALLY DO THIS!! It is hard and even more frustrating when you don't know if it will even work ever but you keep going! Just make sure to plan some pedicures for yourself and load up on ice cream:)

No comments: