Wednesday, October 21, 2009

BBT

So this month I decided to try the basal body temperature technique for predicting ovulation, in addition to ovulation tests. From what I remember reading about doing the BBT thing is that you have to before you get up or move at all in the morning, and I think your temperature is supposed to go down, then rise when you ovulate. Then, if you're pregnant it's supposed to stay elevated. I probably have a lot of this wrong, I need to go back and read about it again.
So, I've been doing it all month, and either I have a very strange body temperature pattern, or I'm doing it wrong. My temperature has fluctuated between 96.4 - 98.6 (ish). Some mornings when I roll over to grab the thermometer I naturally stretch my muscles, then I get worried that I just ruined my temp. because I wasn't supposed to move that much! Agh. Haha. Anyways, I guess I'll keep trying. If nothing else, maybe it'll be good information for my doctor someday.

Does anyone understand how to do the BBT technique? Do you have to have a special thermometer? I just have a regular digital one. Maybe that's my problem. Any suggestions or ideas on this technique and how to make it work? Has anyone had success in getting pregnant this way?

2 comments:

Kara said...

Yes, you do need a special thermometer. You can get them at WalMart. It's just a basal temperature thermometer. You can also log your temperature on fertilityfriend.com. It's a pretty interesting website. You can read more about how to do your temperature there too.
Also, you won't ruin it by stretching...you just need to do it before you get up and moving. and you need to try to do it at close to the same time every mornng. I would normally just set my alarm for a certain time, take the temp and go back to bed.

Courtney said...

I don't think you would ruin it by stretching, but, like the other comment says, you have to do it at the exact same time. I used to track my temps and I didn't realize the time thing, so I was seriously confused by the fluctuation in my temperature!
Good luck! I hope this helps some. I am glad I charted my temps, because it really helped me understand my body more.