Sunday, June 21, 2009

What Do You Do?

First off, I want to thank everyone for your overwhelming support of this new venture. I'm so humbled by all your sweet comments and I know that I have been truly blessed with wonderful friends and family. I couldn't make it through life without all of you!

Disclaimer: If I ever tell stories about any of my friends, I will either not mention names, or change the names, or ask their permission first. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or exposed.

The other day, a friend called me in tears because she just found out that ANOTHER one of her friends is pregnant. She's been having a difficult time for a while now, and she may be feeling, as many of us do, there is no end. I was very touched when she said "I didn't know who else to call." I wanted to cry with her, because I know the pain she is going through. I searched for just the right things to tell her to make her feel better, but I felt so inadequate. I'm afraid I just babbled.

When I am feeling this way, one of my friends always tells me that it's ok to be upset, angry, frustrated, sad, and even jealous. She listens and validates my feelings and allows me to not feel so guilty for having them. This has been one of the biggest helps to me because I am able to work through those feelings, and then move on.

So here I am, telling YOU, when your best friend, your sister, your sister-in-law, your aunt, your cousin, your coworker, even your mother tells you they are pregnant...

It's OK to be upset
It's OK to be angry
It's OK to be frustrated
It's OK to be jealous
It's OK to cry

Allow yourself to have those feelings, then, recognize and identify each one individually. NOW, it's time to release those feelings so you can go on and deal with the rest of your day or week.

Some suggestions for release:
1. Write in a journal: I find writing to be very therapeutic. Others may prefer drawing, painting, or doing crafts. I write about my thoughts and feelings -uncut and uncensored- Sometimes I even write letters. Just remember, don't send the letters, and you only have to share your writings if you want to.
2. Talk to a close friend, family member, or spouse: They can provide physical support, and sometimes you just need someone who will listen and not judge you.
3. Pray: Go someplace quiet where you can be alone, and pour your heart out to your loving Heavenly Father. Cry all those tears you have been holding in for days, weeks, even months! Even if you're sobbing, He still understands the words you say.
4. Go for a walk: Exercise releases endorphins which make your brain feel happy. Sometimes the best thing to do is to get away, look at the big picture in life, and forget the whole thing.

These are just a few things that I have found bring me comfort when I get overwhelmed by all the baby bellies. What do you do when you find yourself hitting your limits?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to go out and do something that I could never do if I had a child. For example... anything spontaneous! Remember that instead of focusing on how much you want your life to be different, focus on the things you wouldn't get to do if your life was different. Thanks for this blog. I think it is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful post! I love the advice! It really is ok to be upset and jealous! We are all allowed to have feelings!

Love Sweet Love said...

I love that you said, "even if you're sobbing, He still understands the words you say." These past few weeks have been SO hard for me (obviously a different kind of trial, but I hope it's okay I still try to identify with you because your faith is such a strength to me!) and I've felt like the only person that can REALLY understand is my Heavenly Father. I've felt ridiculous praying through uncontrollable sobs but it's such a comfort to know that He can heal us without needing us to say a word. He knows what we need and when we need it the very most. Thank you for a great post!

kenna said...

Ahoy there.

My name is Kenna, and I was directed to your blog by a friend of mine. I think it's wonderful that you have started this blog. Truly I do. I am LDS and have been struggling to have a baby for 3 years now. I won't go into the details, but let's just say DRAMA.

I am excited to read your blog, I am, because I feel like I have a connection with women, especially of the same faith, experiencing this trial.

You can check me out too, if you so desire...

http://joshandkenna.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Hey, I stumbled upon your blog from Provo Platinum. I work at LDSFS with Lauren, obviously you know her. But I think this is such a wonderful idea to start this blog. So many people struggle silently, so having this support is so awesome. I admire the strength that you have, though I have never met you. I can tell you that it amazes me how strong people are in the trials that they face. I look forward to reading more. Oh and I will link to my blog if that is okay with you, since I have friends who can benefit from this too. Thanks so much.

Infertility Goddess said...

These are great ideas. Another thing that I find helpful is keeping a list of things you CAN do rather than focusing on what you can't do. On a particularly hard day I decided to try a new hobby, it's been so nice. Rather than going out and spending money or eating, if you can do something for yourself and something you can use to bless others it really helped me.