Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Adoption Diaries

Has anyone else seen Adoption Diaries on WEtv? I wasn't sure that I wanted to get into it because I knew I'd get hooked, and I was worried it would be too emotional for me. Well, I was watching The Locator, which also makes me emotional (but I still love it!), and Adoption Diaries just started right after that. I was intrigued by the woman's story and then I couldn't turn it off. I ended up watching two episodes, which both ended with the adoptive parents getting to take home their babies, but of course, for the drama, they make it seem as if that might not happen. Gosh! What an emotional roller coaster! I really have to applaud those couples/families in the adoption process. They are so incredibly strong and understanding, it's amazing.
The women's stories were sounding a little too familiar and it was making me sad and scared. One of the adopting moms said that she had 4 miscarriages and learned that she has an auto immune type disease where her body thinks the pregnancy is a foreign body to be expelled. She said that she'd hear a heart beat one week, then it'd be gone a short time later. That of course got me wondering and worried if I have the same problem. I tried to look it up on the internet, but I don't know what this particular ailment is called, and I couldn't find it. However, I did find other articles/comments about miscarriage, and those just led me down hill. It only made me more upset to hear the "doctor" respond that there is nothing you can do to prevent miscarriage, it's just nature's way of getting rid of what wouldn't make it anyways; and then to read what all the other women were going through, it was heart breaking.
Here is my advice: Don't search the internet for answers to your fears or concerns. Most of the time, it only makes them worse, and chances are, that stuff doesn't apply to you anyways. It's best to ask your doctor any questions or concerns you have. Every woman, couple and situation is so individual, I don't think we can ever compare ourselves exactly.
Good luck with all your efforts, let us know how it's going!

1 comment:

Infertility Goddess said...

I feel guilty telling a happy story--but I just saw the TWO heartbeats of my babies thanks to infertility treatments. I'm at 10 weeks now and praying they keep growing. It really is a miracle. We went to Dr. Heiner in Draper and are SO grateful for the fertility clinic there. AMAZING! We continue to pray for each of you, I understand at least a bit of how you feel. Side note: if you have PCOS or have symptoms ASK FOR METFORMIN...it's amazing. It made me feel a hundred times better, helped me lose weight finally, AND partly helped me get pregnant. Miracle drug :)