Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In the News Today

I saw this story in the news today.

Plea deal in the works for man accused of beating pregnant girl
July 8th, 2009 @ 11:26am
SALT LAKE CITY -- A plea deal could soon be reached in the case of a man accused of beating a pregnant woman so she would have a miscarriage.
Arron Harrison is currently charged with second-degree felony attempted homicide in connection with the beating in May.
Prosecutors say the 17-year-old girl asked Harrison to help her terminate her pregnancy, and he did so by punching her repeatedly in the stomach.
The Salt Lake Tribune reports lawyers for Harrison told a judge on Tuesday they are working with prosecutors to bring the case to a conclusion without going to trial.
The 17-year-old has already pleaded guilty to second-degree felony criminal solicitation to commit murder.
The baby survived the attack and will be placed in care of the state after birth.


I have to say, I did not have nice thoughts after reading this. I know kids are stupid and some think they should be pardoned because their brains aren't developed enough to tell them just how stupid they are... but honestly... I was thinking that this kid should not get off on a plea deal, and the girl should not be able to ever get pregnant again (not that we have any control over that). Maybe that's too harsh, but that is how stories like this make me feel. There are so many wonderful people out there who want to have families more than anything, and stupid teenagers do things like this.
Sorry, I'm off my soap box now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disgusting!! And she paid $150 to get it done. YUCK I am glad that baby is getting taken away right when she has the baby!

Unknown said...

No way should there be a plea deal! I hope that someday she realizes just how terrible this was.